Monday, July 28, 2008

TWD~ Summer Fruit Galette

Posted by Picasa
Summer Fruit Galette? Looks pretty simple, so we thought!
Well, I think this was our first flop recipe in a while! It all started out when my sister and I looked at the recipe and saw.......................8 peaches, 9-10 plums, etc................one of the sisters said " I think we're supposed to pick one of those fruits. the other one said "No I think we're suppossed to use all the fruits named" We asked our mother, and she said that the recipe looked as if you should use all the fruits. So she went grocery shopping for us, and got our desired fruits. pluots, peaches, apricots, and we had rhubarb. Great! We thought now we'll just have to try it out...................well, after halving the fruit, and "trying to fit it into the pie crust, we came to the conclusion that we were only supposed to use 1 of the fruits. It was hilarious. Trying to see how much of this fruit we could fit into the crust...............we ended us cutting it into slices, and using all pluots, and apricots. The peaches that we took all the effort to blanch, and de-skin, we ended up freezing for another use sometime. ( we didn't even pull out our imported rhubarb from the freezer!) After getting all the fruit cut and into the crust, Mr. Crust decided that there was a little to much liquid on him, and started to stretch and get a little mushy:) Wonderful! We quickly popped it into the oven and watched it bake....................as one other person commented, pluots are a little to juicy for this dessert...........well we can vouch for that! It was a little soupy, and much tarter then I expected, but pretty good for all our catastrophes! I would love to try this recipe again "properly"
Hopefully next recipe will be a little less eventful:)
Till next time......................
Be sure to come back and see the Banana Chocolate Marble Loaf! We've got some really cool ideas on what we want to do with it!

42 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

This looks very yummy!

Susie Homemaker said...

those look great - and funny about how you tried to stuff them full! what a nice mom to buy all of that fruit, too!

Anonymous said...

Your galette looks wonderful! My crust was a little mushy before baking but seemed fine after. Great job!

Marie Rayner said...

Alls well that ends well I say! Your galette looks fabulous! You guys did really well with this. I love pluots. That's a super great combination of fruit there!

Anonymous said...

It looks great even it if didn't turn out quite as you expected! :)

Tammy said...

I bet your tart was great. i had to re-read the recipe a couple of times and think about whether it was one type of fruit or all of them as well!

Prudy said...

I love coming to your blog. Your life sounds as sweet as your recipes. What a nice mother to go and get you all those fruits. Pretty galette.

LyB said...

Well, your galette looks delicious! I'm sure you'll find another use for all those fruits you still have. :)

Shelby said...

Your galette looks great despite stuffing it! :)

Jodie said...

haha- I love the too much fruit part. I made mine with plums and had a couple too many of those, too! Yours looks much better than mine.

Rigby said...

Your galette sounds wonderful! Sounds like you had quite an experience with it :)

Anonymous said...

Even with the catastrophies, it looks absolutely delivious!

The Kitchen Vixen said...

your galette looks great! a little extra juice never hurt anyone;)

Mary said...

Great job girls! That's so cool that you're blogging together.

Beryl said...

I thought that was confusing too. They still look great!

Heather said...

It seems that this one was a disaster for many of us in one respect or another...I am looking forward to the nice, simple (please let it be simple!!!) banana loaf this week...

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to have someone else to buy the supplies? My 16-year-old son cooks and bakes a lot, and he loves to just hand me a shopping list. It's worth it, though, because then I don't have to cook! I love your blog and all those photos.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment, ladies! Your photography is amazing - hopefully, I can get my pics to look like yours someday! :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't tell that it fell apart - it looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

haha - still looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great pics. Looks yummy!!

Mary Ann said...

looks like you did a great job! yum

Tara said...

Looks great! Does you mom want to buy my supplies too???? :-)

CB said...

So funny about stuffing the galette. It still looks quite tasty! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Summertime said...

It's not *really* a catastrophe if you can still eat it ;) Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Your story is very funny. I'm glad it all turned out well! Looks yummy!

Shirlie said...

You two will be pros by the next time you make this galette! Even though it's stuffed, your galette looks incredible! Great job!

Julie said...

You two are awesome and your galette is beautiful. I too am excited about the banana loaf!

Jacque said...

It sure looks good. I've never heard of pluots before.

Sorry your dough wasn't cooperating.

Shandy said...

Your Galette still looks yummy! You both are so cute and adventerous. Well, I am glad that neither of you feel too bad. =D

Nancy/n.o.e said...

What a pretty galette! From the looks of things, I'd have never known there was a problem. I made mini galettes and I think I might have used 2 peaches and a sprinkling of raspberry for all of them.

Judy said...

I had to read the recipe several times to determine that you are only supposed to choose ONE of the fruits!! My crust dough became really soft very easily also - I kept sticking it back in the fridge. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

Ellen and Tom said...

Love your photos! How nice that you two are baking & blogging together. The galette still looks great.

Flourchild said...

You both are adorble and I love the fact you share a passion of baking! I have two wonderful teenage daughter's, but I can't imagine them in the kitchen together. They have a hard time pouring cereal in a bowl toether.+) What a wonderful life you have and the memories you are making are priceless.

Your galette is luscious looking!

Anonymous said...

I also paused when reading this recipe. I choose to have a mixture of fruit but 2 of each-- still ended up with too much fruit! I hope you found some other way to use those peaches--- maybe peach cobbler-- my favorite! Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

Lynne Daley said...

Your galette looks so pretty. I have just bought my first pluots .Such gorgeous fruits!

Linda said...

Ladies, despite the challenges you described, your galette turned out delicious looking! The fruit combo sounds really yummy!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Nothing like having all your bases covered with every possible fruit option! At least you have more fruit on hand to make more galettes. This one looks very delicious.

Di said...

Hopefully it still tasted good, even if it didn't work quite the way it was supposed to. =) Nice fruit pictures.

Cecilia said...

The galette looks good. That must have been one expensive trip to the grocery store for your mom! I'm sorry it didn't turn out perfectly, but it seems like you have everything down for next time.

Dolores said...

Gorgeous galette ladies. Great job!

Anne said...

It looks wonderful despite the complications! I had the same question about the fruit- I'm glad it wasn't just me! :)